Most working adults spend a huge proportion of their time at their workplace. Thus, it becomes the responsibility of the employers to integrate sports and other physical activities into their employees’ schedule.
Employers can organise fitness programs or team activities at work that can help their employees who normally do not find the time after or before office hours to engage in any simple physical activity, such as walking.
Workplace sports and social events, such as formula one events, are highly popular among UK businesses. There are many organisers who offer formula one themed pit stop challenges to their clients along with various other team building events. All you have to do is show up at their venue with your team and everything else is taken care of by these event companies and their team of professionals.
Business owners need to encourage health and wellness programmes in their workplace, as this kind of event has proven to be beneficial to both the employees as well as the employers. In fact, workplace sports and social clubs are highly popular features of many employees’ extracurricular activities and are also an essential aspect of their reward packages.
These activities and events
- Help in improving employee engagement and motivation
- It allows employers to support their teams’ emotional and physical wellbeing
Moreover, these social events are created and organised by the employees themselves but are funded by employers. The focus usually varies greatly between employers, from social clubs including choirs to sports clubs offering various team events. In fact, many employers even support their employees’ chosen pursuits.
Employers also need to take into consideration the fact that every employee will be excited to participate in a sport. Thus, companies need to come up with activities and sports events that everyone participates in.
If you cannot think of one particular sport, have several mini sports events throughout the year, where eventually all your employees will enjoy. Apart from this, include simple physical activities in their daily schedule which forces them to step away from their desks.
Some benefits of a physically active workforce
When a company promotes physical activity in the workplace, it has the following benefits on their employees:
- They will have better fitness and health
- It enhances their productivity and morale
- It improves team bonding and job satisfaction
- It lowers the stress levels in the employees
- There is an improvement in the communication and interpersonal relationships amongst all employees
- There is an improvement in concentration levels and mental sharpness
One of the major components of an effective health and wellness programme is sport based activities. Over years, sports has actively been known to
- Contribute to healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Lower stress levels and aid in relaxation
- Reduced body fat and tones muscles
- Decreases the risk of contracting diseases such as cancer and diabetes
- Improvement in coordination and balance
Thus, companies need to promote indoor sports which will make sure that their employees continue to enjoy their favourite sports throughout the year. There are various organisers that can help you set up indoor courts for cricket, football, volleyball and handball.
Moreover, companies can conduct annual competitions at some sports facilities and make it compulsory for all their employees to participate in these contests.
These sports facilities are economically affordable, and also includes professional help along with all the required equipment. All you have to do is show up with your team. You can also hire these venues for birthday parties, team building events and other corporate events.
Several new sports can be introduced into the workplace environment with the help of tournaments or friendly games. However, it is important to plan these games way in advance by professionals who know the game and can also oversee the whole event when it is happening.
Benefits of a physically fit workplace for employers
As we have mentioned before, incorporating health and wellness programmes in the workplace benefits the employers as well. These benefits include,
- Reduced absenteeism and employee turnover
- Lower stress among the team members
- An overall increase in productivity and efficiency within the business
- An improved company and brand image in the market
- Better relations between the management and all the employees
It is not only the duty of the management but also the employees to establish a healthy work environment and promote a healthy lifestyle.